RE: 2.13.61 2 rehearsal marks

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: 2.13.61 2 rehearsal marks
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 08:33:40 +0000

Paul
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Paul Scott address@hidden
Sent: 09 May 2011 02:49
To: address@hidden
Subject: 2.13.61 2 rehearsal marks

Hi,

I need to to place a fermata over a bar line at the end of a line and
have a rehearsal mark at the beginning of the next line.  I would
normally use \mark to place the fermata over the bar line but then I
don't know how to reuse \mark for the rehearsal mark.

As a workaround I would consider not having the fermata bar line at the
end of a line and do everything with one \mark but haven't seen a way to
get the fermata exactly centered over the bar line.

----

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1

:)

However to get what you want is tricky as you want 'effectively' two \mark
glyphs at the same time (the fact that it is on the next line rather than the
end of the line is irrelevant to LilyPond - it is as if you were trying to
place them on the same spot) and you cannot do this easily.

There are some machinations that you can do to get two 'marks' on the same bar
line but above and below thus:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=735

and

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=736

However what you could also do is use the first method to put the fermata at
the end of the line then use a 'new' \mark in a new bar line on the next line
and a break-align it

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/aligning-objects#index-break_002dalign_002dsymbols

and move it 'back' towards the start of the new line (if you see what I mean).

You can even (I do this sometimes) use a normal markup to a note and then tweak
it so it shifts 'left'.

James