Re: positioning lyrics when both solo and tutti

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: positioning lyrics when both solo and tutti
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 21:10:12 +0200

Le 05/05/2011 21:44, Reinhold Kainhofer disait :
Am Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2011, 20:45:48 schrieb J.-Charles Malahieude:
On my way to typing "King Arthur", I'm trying to reproduce what is
on the attached image: the choir enters on the last syllables of
the soloist.

Is there an easier to achieve this other than a construction like
using an extra-voice for dealing with those 2 bars and 4
syllables?

I always use separate voices for soloists and choir, anyway. That
way, I can always produce a more compact choir-only score (with cues
 to the soloists).

What is harder to achieve (actually, I don't know if there is any
chance to do it with lilypond currently) is the switching of the
lyrics from below to above the staff on a linebreak. The only way I
see is to hardcode the linebreak...

Unfortunately it even doesn't work this way: alignXXContext must be set
on the creation of the context (as far as I've understood the docs). The
only workaround I've found is to instantiate another lyrics context for
those four syllables containing as many skips as the number of preceding
syllables (only 41 in this case). My soprano staff is then:

 \new Staff = "S_soprano" <<
   \new Voice = "V_soprano" << \DBGlobal \DBSopranoMusic >>
   \new Voice = "SoloS" << \DBGlobal \DBSopSoloMusic >>
   \lyricsto "V_soprano" \new Lyrics \DBSopranoText
   \lyricsto "SoloS" \new Lyrics \DBSopSoloText
   \lyricsto "SoloS" \new Lyrics
                     \with { alignAboveContext = #"S_soprano" }
                     \DBSopSoloExtra >>

As a matter of fact, I firstly thought to find something like
\bassFigureStaffAlignmentXX but have discovered that it only works when
the figures' context appear before the staff.

Thanks,
Jean-Charles