Re: How to set a constant vertical distance?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: How to set a constant vertical distance?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 04:28:08 +0000 (UTC)

 <prut1105 <at> kirakira.xs4all.nl> writes:
> One thing that is bothering about the output I create with
> Lilypond is that the staves have a variable interval. (See
> attachment sample file.) This is caused by the presence/absence
> of dynamics.

To make the Dynamics always take the same space you give them a non-zero
minimum-X-extent, and increase minimum-Y extent to be as tall as the tallest
dynamic mark.

>   \layout {
>     \context {
>       \type "Engraver_group"
>       \name Dynamics
[...]
>       \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1)
       \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1.5 . 1.5)
       \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-X-extent = #'(-1 . 1)

The staves will move further apart if needed to make room for notes on
ledger lines.  If that bothers, you just make them always further apart with
\context { \Staff \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-6 . 6) }

Don't work too hard, because the spacing commands will change again in version
2.14.