Re: Variable names

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Variable names
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 18:14:13 +0200

On 13 May 2011, at 16:05, Carl Sorensen wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, no.
>>
>> I'm just curious... Do you know how much work would it take to change
>> it? Like, some work, a lot of work, tons of work or rewriting whole
>> Lily?
>

> It would introduce a bunch of shift/reduce conflicts in the parser, as I
> understand it.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/16481

Normally, one would try changing the lexer, in which case the work is minimal.
Since a number can follow directly as another token after a letter-identifier,
extending identifiers with numbers would force one entering a space after an
identifier followed by a number. That is, not upwards compatible.

But one can seek for other solutions. One I have used is admitting arbitrary
identifier names within single quotes '...'. Such a solution is practical when
calling Guile names, and does not affect the parser at all, as it is just
another form of an identifier.

Hans