How to put a horizontal space with no time value?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: How to put a horizontal space with no time value?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 12:14:57 -0400

I have been reading the fine manual, and see lots of things I could try.
It's likely some of them would work, but it's also likely someone has
already tried even more things than I see right now, and come to some
conclusions about what works best.

I'm transcribing some 16th century diminutions (Dalla Casa, Bassano...)
where there are lots and lots of 16th and even 32nd notes.  The
facsimiles do not beam the notes together, but they do group them with
some extra space after, say, a group of 4 16th notes.

I'm printing the divisions in score with the original tune, so I don't
want to just put in s notes, because that will change the alignment with
the tune.

I would guess what I will end up with is something like a \es command
that does an override of some kind of padding for the next note.

Has anyone got a solution to this problem that they like?  Or one that
they hate but use anyway because after trying everything it's the least
of all evils?

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Strong hope is a much greater stimulant of life than any realized joy
could be.

Nietzsche