Re: harmonicByRatio usage... plus harmonicsOn and TabStaff

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: harmonicByRatio usage... plus harmonicsOn and TabStaff
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 12:13:23 +0200

Am 17.05.2011 23:30, schrieb Federico Bruni:
I have two questions about harmonics.
First one is about harmonicByRatio.  I've seen in the command index that
it is undocumented (like harmonicByFret).
There's an explanation here:
http://lilypond-s-support-for-tablatures.3383434.n2.nabble.com/harmonics-in-tablature-td5518526.html

But it's a bit difficult for me right now.
Can you help me?
Hi Federico,

it's in the snippets:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/snippets/fretted-strings#fretted_002dstring-harmonics-in-tablature

Also, I've noticed that \harmonicsOn works only in Staff and not in
TabStaff.  There's a reason for this behavior or it's a bug?
A bug, probably.
Finally, after calling \harmonicByRatio the following harmonics are
raised by one octave.  Again, a bug or I'm missing something?
You are in relative mode, so the pitches influence each other.

\harmonicByRatio computes the *sounding pitch* (it doesn't display the given pitch, as \harmonic does!) corresponding to the spot where your finger touches the string, so

\harmonicByRatio #1/2 e,

resembles the harmonic you'll get when you touch the 6th string in the middle,
i.e. the 12th fret. 1/3 means the 7th fret, whereas 2/3 the 19th and so on.

This mostly makes sense with empty strings, so your example with the note d on the
3rd string won't work as expected. Simply use g\3, and it is fine.

\harmonicByFret is just the same, but you specify the fret, not the ratio.

So

\harmonicByFret #7 e, and \harmonicByRatio #1/3 e, are identical.

HTH a bit,

Marc

You can see everything in the attached example.

Thanks in advance,
Federico