Re: harmonicByRatio usage... plus harmonicsOn and TabStaff

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: harmonicByRatio usage... plus harmonicsOn and TabStaff
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 22:06:51 +0200

Am 22.05.2011 21:33, schrieb Federico Bruni:
Hi Federico,

it's in the snippets:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/snippets/fretted-strings#fretted_002dstring-harmonics-in-tablature

Ok, thanks!
BTW, I think that in that snippet some pitches are not correct.
I'll write to lilypond-bug.

Also, I've noticed that \harmonicsOn works only in Staff and not in
TabStaff.  There's a reason for this behavior or it's a bug?
A bug, probably.
I'll send a bug report.

Now I understand how harmonicsBy... work.
I have a couple of questions (see file attached):

* \harmonic prints 19th fret instead of 7th and 24th fret instead of 5th
on TabStaff.  I don't think it's desirable, because it's more likely
that 5th and 7th frets will be used.  I wonder if \harmonicByFret was
introduced to solve this problem.
Yes. The \harmonic command doesn't care about physics, it just
draws angle brackets around fret numbers and changes the note head style.

To overcome this limitation, I wrote some lines of code for
\harmonicByFret and \harmonicByRatio, which were then polished by Carl and
documented by Patrick.
* as you can see in the example, when \harmonicByFret and
\harmonicByRatio are used, string numbers don't show up in Staff (they
do if \harmonic is used).
This has nothing to do with harmonics.

When you say

e8\6

you don't get the string number in the Staff, but

<e\6>8 will cause lily to print the string number as expected.

SInce \harmonic works only in <...> constructs, you have
the string number mechanism switched on.

So

\harmonicByFret #12 <e\6>8

works as you want it.

\harmonicByFret #12 a,\5 % why I have to put a comma on all the following
harmonics?

Because the corresponding pitch (which is calculated by \harmonicByFret) is one
octave
above e, ->  e. You are in relative mode, so the next "a" is not "a," (as
expected by
the notes e, a ) but "a" (Whoa, looks confusing with all the ," stuff ...).

HTH,

Marc

Cheers,
Federico