Re: Any way to turn of "strange time signature found" warnings?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Any way to turn of "strange time signature found" warnings?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 18:47:47 -0400

Hi Fraçois,

Attached are a few measures of the piece in the question. The 'nonbinary' (my own term) meters are at the end of the system in this example and always occur in more or less this same context in the piece: up-arpeggiated solo material in the guitar acting as a type of ligament between other material. (The solo context gets rid of some coordination problems and should help with the counting.)

You read these sort of nonbinary meters the same way you read other meters. In the example here the measure in 11/22 is still worth 11/22 == 1/2 of a whole note; however all the notes in the measure must fit evenly into that duration of 1/2 of a whole note. You could interpret each measure as representing a 'broken' (incomplete) tuplet. Or else as a tempo change that lasts exactly one measure.

Trevor.