Re: effect of \transposition on \quoteDuring

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: effect of \transposition on \quoteDuring
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:09:18 -0700

On 05/25/2011 01:12 PM, Keith OHara wrote:
Paul Scott<waterhorse<at>  ultrasw.com>  writes:

Why does the presence of \transposition change the effects of the
following pairs of lines?  Or how do I get the results I want when I add
the desired \transposition command?

notesA = \relative c'' {
    \transposition c'
    c1 d e f g
}
\addQuote "inA" \notesA
\addQuote "inAd" \transpose c c, \notesA
The \transpose operation changes *all* the pitches in \notesA, including the c'
that tells LilyPond what the instrument \transposition is.

(\transpose really should not change this pitch, and there is a bug listed about
this. http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=754)

Ok. So when and if the bug is fixed the ability to write a theme in one instrument and quote it for any other instruments which play it at the same time in whatever will be available!?

The effect is that \transpose will change the written pitches, but leave the
sounding pitches the same.  Quotes with \quoteDuring use the sounding pitches.

I do not know a way to do what you want with \quoteDuring.

Again from what you say shouldn't fixing the bug solve the problem?

  (I just use
variables to hold short motives instead.)

Yes, that's what I've done for years until I recently got comfortable with \quoteDuring and whenever the theme occurs again at some other time or in some other key.

  A similar issue must have been
handled to make the function \transposedCueDuring, so that might serve as a
model if any Scheme programmer (as many users seem to be) wants to find a
solution.

Maybe I will have time to do this this summer. This seems to me to be a required cousin of \quoteDuring.

Thanks,

Paul