Re: Different accidentals for same pitch bend?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Different accidentals for same pitch bend?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 23:17:48 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Sabey <richardsabey <at> hotmail.co.uk> writes:

> The reason I ask is that I'd like to compose in 34et
..
> This means that b lowered by one step and f need identical amounts of MIDI
>  pitch bend but different accidental glyphs.

Richard,
  I think Lilypond already does what you want.  Some of the pitch bend goes
into the note-name itself for 34ET (differently from makam).

Suppose you choose f-natural to have zero pitch bend in MIDI.
Then if b-natural is 18/34 of an octave higher, it needs 1/34*1200 cents pitch-
bend of sharpening relative to the default 12-ET version of b.

You set these pitch-bends for the naked note-names with ly:set-default-scale.

Then with ly:parser-set-note-names, you assign b-down-one-step whatever name
you choose, and the pitch of scale-step 6 lowered by 1/34.   When you use that
name, Lilypond prints a lowering glyph because it is lower than the note in the
scale, and calculates a pitch bend 1/34*1200 cents flatter than the default
scale, which is right back to zero in this case.

Graham Breed has posted some helpful emails, such as
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2008-12/msg00499.html