odd behaviour with \whiteout

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: odd behaviour with \whiteout
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 14:48:04 -0400

[Lilypond 2.13.61-1 on Mac OS X 10.6]

Hello all,

I've been working on an "end of the piece rotated text stamp".
Thanks to a tip (and an example on the LSR), I'm almost there.

However, when I compile (see the following minimal example), I get very weird
results: Sometimes both scores are properly whiteout-ed (i.e., you cannot see
the staff lines under the text), other times only one or the other is, and yet
other times neither is.

What's going on?

Thanks,
Kieren.
_____________

\version "2.13"

\paper { ragged-right = ##f }

stamp = \markup \fontsize #-2 \override #'(baseline-skip . 2) \center-column {
Toronto "May 2011" }
stampmarkup = \markup \rotate #90 \whiteout \pad-markup #2 \stamp

\relative c'' {
  \repeat "unfold" 40 { c4 }
  \override Staff.BarLine #'stencil =
    #(lambda (grob)
       (ly:stencil-combine-at-edge
        (ly:bar-line::print grob)
        X RIGHT
        (grob-interpret-markup grob stampmarkup)
        0 0))
  \bar "|."
}