Re: Polymetric music and page breaks

From: Edward Neeman
Subject: Re: Polymetric music and page breaks
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:46:12 -0400

On 5/30/11 1:08 AM, Andrea La Rose wrote:
Dear Collective Wisdom,

I posted here about a year ago about my piece. You were all very helpful and
I hope you can help me once again. Yes, it's the same pesky piece.

I've entered all the parts and need to finish editing it. I can't seem to
get it to paginate properly. I've tried inserting \bar "" judiciously and
\break judiciously, but to no avail. Attached is a minimal example, which is
still rather large, due to having eight parts. This example does not have
any \bar "" or \break commands.

Any help is appreciated!

cheers,
Andrea
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31728865/putrefaction_test.ly
putrefaction_test.ly

It seems to me that there are two things preventing line breaking:

1) because you moved the Bar_line_engraver to the Staff context, you have to have invisible barlines in every staff where you want a break.  You can define a voice like this:

forcedBreaks = { \repeat unfold 4 { s1*4 \bar "" \break } }

and then add that to every staff.

2) glissandi don't normally allow line breaks.  You can change that:

\override Glissando #'breakable = ##t

Hope this helps,
Edward