Re: Polymetric music and page breaks

From: Phil Hézaine
Subject: Re: Polymetric music and page breaks
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:38:49 +0200

Le 30/05/2011 21:05, Andrea La Rose a écrit :

> Jan-Peter,
>
> That is fantastic work! Thanks for sharing it. Unfortunately, neither my
> math nor my coding skills are anywhere near yours.
>
> Another issue is that I am creating a score where only parts exist at this
> point. (There was a handwritten score that I made the parts from, but that's
> on the other side of the ocean right now.) Making the kind of calculations
> you did with your uncle's piece (which I'd be interested in hearing, by the
> way) seems easier when you have a physical copy of a score.
>
> The sense I'm getting is that the only work-around at this point is to
> insert fake measures — not simply \bar "" — that do line up, in order to get
> the page breaks one wants; that there is no global fix.
>
> cheers,
> Andrea

I haven't read your file yet, sorry, may be  this isn't helpful for you
but for the record I post what I wrote in tutorial of the Drummer's
'G'igsaw (a Polymetric editor for Drums and Percussions.)

(page 28):

If you write different time signatures in each track the pdf output
might become faulty. Indeed Lilypond doesn't break end of lines except
if there are synchronous each other. To avoid this issue you'll find
in Demos some tricks. First of all try to uncomment: set-global-staff-
size) at the beginning of MY-SONG.ly.
(for instance: (set-global-staff-size 16)
 In Demo-02, when agogos in Polyun track enlarge their bars
(4/4 => 5/4 => 6/4 => 7/4...) I deliberately divided up the bars. So end
of lines are in sync and I get a more readable pdf.

I don't know an another solution.

Phil.