Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 12:17:00 +0200

Hi,

I have a question not about LilyPond itself but about notational
conventions (rules).  Maybe you know better or I know some have great
references such as Ted Ross or Gardner Read.

In 3/4 times, what would be the recommended notation of the following
rhythm?

  \time 3/4
  % proposal 1: dotted notes
  c4. c4. |
  % proposal 2: tied notes
  c4~ c8 c8~ c4 |
  % proposal 3: duplet
  \times 3/2 { c4 c4 } |
  % proposal 4: mix (not "symmetric")
  c4. c8~ c4 |

Does it depend on the tempo (fast = one beat (2.)
or slow = 3 beats (4 4 4))?
I would say that duplet is better for fast (one beat) tempo, but maybe
dotted notes are better at slow (3 beats) tempo?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Xavier

--