Re: More alternate ending problems

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: More alternate ending problems
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:58:52 -0400

    Laura>    Failing that, is there a tweak I can use to enlarge the
    Laura>    space left for an "empty" bar?  (This would actually be
    Laura>    useful for something else I'm doing.)

Got it.

Instead of an empty barline, what I want is a transparent barline.  So
for the problem I wrote this post about, the answer is:

      \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
      \once \override Staff.BarLine #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-2 . 2)
      \bar "|"

I'll get to the bug report about the volta bracket being misplaced when
it doesn't start on a bar, but this is a reasonable workaround for
putting in a bar when you want lily to think there's a line that takes
up space, but you don't want the musician to see a barline.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Just as there are no atheists in foxholes, there are no intellectuals
on stage.

Ian Bostridge, quoted in The Boston Globe, April 3, 2009