Re: LilyPond to Finale :-(

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: LilyPond to Finale :-(
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:46:35 +0200

Well, there are two issues which might be valid arguments:
  • They want a new edition to comply to the house's standards, i.e. it should look like any other edition from this publisher.
  • Additionally, the piece in question will eventually be published as part of a Complete Edition, and should therefore be the same as the rest of the edition. But OTOH chances are more than high that this critical edition won't be done by me, so they would probably have to start from scratch anyway.
The other argument is quite silly: They need to have the scores ready to be eventually updated/corrected for future releases. This is really silly, because as we all know, a well-structured and commented lilypond score is way more maintainable than a Finale or Sibelius score. They just don't have people at hand who know how to work with Lilypond ...

But the most ugly aspect of the case is that the publishing house owns the rights to the piece (which is a very prominent composer's arrangement of a very prominent historical piece from the beginning of the 20th century). So they can (and actually did) prohibit a publication by another publisher (which would be an option for me). Well, I hope these aren't the last words - there may be a few more options to try out.
I have another piece from the same project with its rights being owned by another major publisher, so I'll see how they respond.
[And to be honest: I did these editions in the first place to have performing material for a cd recording I'm going to do next week. So the work put in the scores isn't lost at all].

Best
Urs