problem with cross-staff stems

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: problem with cross-staff stems
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:37:05 -0500

Hi all,

I’m having a difficulty involving cross-staff stems, and I wonder if
someone can help me.

In the example below, I would like to have the quarter-note stems
joined from one staff to the other, with the stem direction of the
eighth-note figure pointing up.  (Down would look better in my
example, but I do need this particular arrangement for a more complex
passage.) Trouble is, the quarter-note stems in the lower staff will
not extend beyond the beam and the stems won’t join.  (Varying the
stem-length override just pushes the staves further apart.)  The
attached image shows the problem.

Replacing the \voiceOne in the lower staff with \stemUp has the same result.

Does anyone know how to get what I’m after?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.14.0"

top = \relative c' {
  <<
    { r4 e e e }
    { s4
      \change Staff = "bottom"
      \override  Stem #'cross-staff = ##t
      \override Stem #'length = #20
      \override  NoteColumn #'ignore-collision = ##t
      c, c c

bottom = \relative c' {
  \clef bass
  \voiceOne % similar results with \voiceThree or \stemUp
  g8 a g a g a g a
}

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = "top" {