Re: why does lily prints both a natural and sharp sign?

From: Marc Mouries
Subject: Re: why does lily prints both a natural and sharp sign?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:28:05 -0400

2011/6/11 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>

> I've looked at Ted Ross, Kurt Stone, Gardner Read and Elaine Gould and can't
> find any explicit mention of this.

AFAIK this was a common practice in XIXth century engraving (a period
that LilyPond tries to mimic), but it is considered now obsolete, at
least by some people
(http://icking-music-archive.org/lists/sottisier/sottieng.pdf page 6).

HTH,
Janek

thanks for the link that's really interesting. I know that Lilypond's goal is to produce score similar to manual hand-graved scores but should lilypond try to mimic obsolete XIXth century engraving rules?

Would it be useful to the lilypond community to generate a lilypond version of the excerpt in the referenced document "Essay on the true art of music engraving"?