Re: why does lily prints both a natural and sharp sign?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: why does lily prints both a natural and sharp sign?
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 10:19:23 +0200

2011/6/12 Marc Mouries <address@hidden>:

> 2011/6/11 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
>> AFAIK this was a common practice in XIXth century engraving (a period
>> that LilyPond tries to mimic), but it is considered now obsolete, at
>> least by some people
>> (http://icking-music-archive.org/lists/sottisier/sottieng.pdf page 6).
>
> thanks for the link that's really interesting. I know that Lilypond's goal
> is to produce score similar to manual hand-graved scores but should lilypond
> try to mimic obsolete XIXth century engraving rules?

I don't think so.
I think it may be good to define some alternate "engraving styles" for
users to choose from. For example:
- old ( \set Staff.extraNatural = ##t, steep beams, rounder noteheads
etc) for people that *want* to mimic XIXth century engraving
- modern ( \set Staff.extraNatural = ##f, flatter beams, a bit thinner
lines, maybe Gonville font, etc) for people used to the look of modern
scores
- default (something between)

> Would it be useful to the lilypond community to generate a lilypond version
> of the excerpt in the referenced document "Essay on the true art of music
> engraving"?

You mean that it would be a good idea to check if Lily doesn't make
any mistakes mentioned there?
I'm investigating it.

cheers,
Janek