Re: V2.14.0 - midi volume & midi arpeggio

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: V2.14.0 - midi volume & midi arpeggio
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:50:50 +0200

2011/6/9 MING TSANG <address@hidden>:
> QUESTIONS:
> 2.  I produce a midi output for each voice + piano.  I want to produce the
> voice sound track is louder than the piano.  I use the following
>     \include "articulate.ly"
>     and
>     \new voice {
>         \set Staff.midiMinimumVolume = #0.2
>         \set Staff.midiMaximumVolume = #0.6
>     }
> but I cannot produce the effect I want.  How can I resolved this?

I suppose lack of dynamic sign at the beginning of the music may be
the cause of the problem. See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/controlling-midi-dynamics
: midiMinimumVolume and midiMaximumVolume properties have an effect
only on dynamic marks, so a dynamic mark must be placed at the
beginning of the score if you want them to work properly.

In other words,

\version 2.14.0
\include "articulate.ly"
\score {
  <<
    \new Voice {
      c \mf d e f
    }
    \new Voice {
        \set Staff.midiMinimumVolume = #0.2
        \set Staff.midiMaximumVolume = #0.5
        c''\mf c'' c'' c''
    }

  \midi {}
}

works for me (i.e. the high c's are quieter than low melody).

HTH,
Janek

PS there is a bit different wording in Notation Reference than what i
wrote. Maybe it should be changed to simpler english?