Re: Two simultaneous BarNumbers

From: Nick Baskin
Subject: Re: Two simultaneous BarNumbers
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:43:25 +0200

Neil,

Thanks! The first version will work fine.

Cheers,
Nick

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12 June 2011 09:49, Nick Baskin <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am working on a large-scale minimalist piece that uses repeats in the
> instrumental parts to make page turns possible. Since these repeats are only
> a space-saving device (they are different in each part and do not exist in
> the score), I would like to print two bar numbers at the beginning of each
> line: One above the staff that is the bar number the first time through, and
> one below the staff that is the bar number the second time through. Is this
> possible?

I think the simplest option would be to add the Bar_number_engraver
directly to the stave.  Here's a short example:

\version "2.14.0"

\new Staff \with {
 \consists "Bar_number_engraver"
 \override BarNumber #'direction = #DOWN
}
\relative c' {
 \repeat volta 1 {
   c4 d e f \break
 }
 \set Staff.currentBarNumber = #3
 c4 d e f
}

> As a temporary solution, I have tried using an
> \override with the BarNumber 'stencil and 'text properties to print
> something like "44/53" where the bar number would ordinarily go, but none of
> my attempts have produced the desired result.

Overriding 'text doesn't work since the engraver sets this property
later than \override.

Here's a stencil override:

\once \override Score.BarNumber #'stencil =
#(lambda (grob) (grob-interpret-markup grob "44/53"))

Cheers,
Neil

--
And she forgot the stars, the moon, and sun,
And she forgot the blue above the trees,

www.hastyorisons.blogspot.com