log message about old version (was: Old version 2.6.0? on user)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: log message about old version (was: Old version 2.6.0? on user)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:00:00 +0200

summary for devs: we suppose that error message about too old a version

  error: file too old: 2.6.0 (oldest supported: 2.7.38)
  error: consider updating the input with the convert-ly script

is misleading, and consider changing it.

2011/6/12 Brent Annable <address@hidden>:
> Hey Janek,
>
> I'm using the latest stable version (2.14?).
>
> When I first tried to compile the file, I got at least a dozen messages
> telling me that files were too old (probably because of the structure, with
> lots of different files containing information, etc.) and I was a little
> overwhelmed; I can't honestly say whether there was anything there about
> convert-ly. I just tried converting again and this time I did find a
> convert-ly message (in Dutch this time, for some reason), but to be honest
> I'm SO not a programmer, and even if I had seen it the first time I would
> have had no idea what to do, and would have asked for help anyway. I would
> have needed a really dumbed-down message, like "This file is too old for
> your current version of Lilypond; you need to use a feature called
> 'convert-ly' to update the file first. To find out how to use it, please
> visit [link or reference to convert-ly manual]. Everything will be OK -
> trust me."
>
> Don't know if this helps, but I don't think there's a bug.

It is definately something that can be improved! If i remember
correctly, Han-Wen once said that "a user asking a question is an
indication that the documentation is still lacking", and i think i
agree with that.
Thanks for feedback!

2011/6/12 Colin Campbell <address@hidden>:
> Janek: the string is coded in /lily/lexer.ll at line 925 and following.  I
> believe the two error messages come from the need to extend a string over
> two lines without being able to guarantee word wrap on the display device.

Probably so. On the other hand, we have plenty of log messages that
are not split despite they would look better if they were.

> As a result, the message is split into two separate strings for output.  It
> would probably be useful to add a mention of the Usage Manual section 2
> regarding convert-ly, though.  If you like, I can cook up a patch and send
> it to Trevor and Graham for blessing.

Go ahead. I'd also consider rewording it: knowing about existence of
convert-ly i thought that "oldest supported" means "oldest supported
by convert-ly" when i read this error message for the first time!

Thanks,
Janek