Re: fretted-string-harmonics-in-tablature snippet

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: fretted-string-harmonics-in-tablature snippet
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:44:27 +0200

2011/6/13 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> Il giorno lun, 13/06/2011 alle 20.10 +0200, Janek Warchoł ha scritto:
>> Concerning the last harmonic: it should be e'' (i.e. note on third
>> ledger line - remember that guitar is written in \clef "G_8")
>
> I still think that it should be e'
> The pitch I hear is the same as the 1st open string (standard tuning),
> so it's 4th space of the staff.

No, maybe you are not doing it the right way (it's possible that
instead of a touch harmonic you simply got the string tapped).
The "base" of the harmonic (i.e. the point where the string is held
firmly) is 2nd fret, and the harmonic is on 9th fret. This means it's
7 frets away, i.e. in 1/3 of the remaining string length, so it should
sound octave-and-fifth higher.
Maybe a little explanation what touch harmonic is: you do it by
plucking the string normally first, and then touching it at a node
(but without additional plucking, and without tapping the string on
the fret). The result is an extremely smooth transition between the
base sound and the harmonic (that's why it's indicated with a slur). I
suggest that you try doing it on open string (it's easier): pluck the
E string and after that touch it gently over 7th fret: the E (pitch of
the 6th open string) transforms into b (the same pitch as the 2nd open
string), a perfect twelfth (= octave+fifth) higher.
As you can see the touch harmonic can be either natural or artificial:
in our snippet's case we have artificial one, in 2nd position. It's
possible that you can have trouble hearing an artificial touch
harmonic on your guitar - some guitars don't play harmonics well and
this is especially hearable when the harmonic is artificial.
And general advice for playing harmonics - perhaps you know it already
- all harmonics are best heard when string is plucked near the bridge,
because strings plucked this way have strong overtones (which are used
for creating harmonic) and weak fundamental tone (which needs to be
silenced completely when performing a harmonic). This is especially
important with touch harmonics.

> I attach the patched file.
> Sorry, I can't produce a .diff file, even though the two files I'm using
> are different.  It's a mystery to me...

The attached file is the bad one, i.e. exactly the version present in
docs. Maybe that's the reason :)

BTW, who will be applying the patch (i don't have puch ability)?

cheers,
Janek