RE: V2.14.0 - midi volume & midi arpeggio

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: V2.14.0 - midi volume & midi arpeggio
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:15:56 +0000

Ming
________________________________
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of MING TSANG address@hidden
Sent: 14 June 2011 21:00
To: Federico Bruni
Cc: address@hidden

Federico:

Thank you very much for your help. Now I have configure frescobaldi to run
v2.12.3 and v2.14.1.  Now I can go back to code lilypond scores.  I will soon
start to play the development v2.15.1 when I have spare time.   I had been
using jedit in window 7, but only one version of lilypond.   Now frescobaldi
ubuntu provide different version of lilypond to run - an excellent software.

Thank you for the tips on terminal commands.  This is my first month of using
linux ubuntu.  What is the difference between sh and sudo sh?

Blessing,
Ming.

------

Certain commands in Ubuntu require 'administrator' permissions as the 'sh'
command needs to access areas of the operating system that a normal user does
not have permissions for. So when you run any command with the additional
'sudo' command before it, it tells Ubuntu that the command is to be run 'as if'
you were logged in as the administrator (or 'root' as is more commonly known in
Linux) - 'su' actually stands for 'super user' and (I think) the 'do' is
literal as in 'super user do' [command], but that is not important. There will
be others that might jump in to say that you can also use sudo command for
non-administrator accounts (which is true) but for your case this is what it is
used for.

WHat is important is that any command you run with 'sudo' before it requires
your password to be entered before the command is executed.

This is just a simple security feature of Ubuntu that stops 'anyone' or 'any
process' from running as 'root' without entering a password.

Ubuntu is slightly different from other Linux versions/distributions because it
does not by default allow you to log in as 'root', so any commands that require
this kind of 'extra' privilege simply make you enter your password as
verification.

If you try to run a command that requires 'sudo' without typing the command in,
the prompt will tell you...something like

'permission denied' or 'you need to be 'root' to do that'.

I hope that helps.

James

PS if you ever want to know what a command does or means you can simply type
'man' and then the command

for example

'man sudo'

or you can also type

'info sudo'

which will give you a slightly different (but often more updated) help system.

PPS if you do use 'man' or 'info' type the space bar to 'page down' or the
'return button' to go a line at a time. Finally to 'come out' of the man or
info page, type 'q' (for quit) and it will take you back to the prompt. Happy
Hacking!