Re: lyrics vertical movement - help requested.

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Re: lyrics vertical movement - help requested.
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:13:49 +1200

> As you can see in the attached example I have expanded the 'override'
> completely - but, to achieve a satisfactory result both the (basic-distance . > ..) and (minimum-distance . ..) values have to be made equal otherwise one > overrides the other in the staff-lyrics spacing (see the second score) giving > somewhat unusual, sometimes, results. It would be nice to see it explicitly
> stated somewhere in the Manual which has priority.

'basic-distance' is what you would like to have, 'minimum-distance' is the
least you are willing to accept.  I thought the explanation at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-_005cpaper-variables
was very clear.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Hi Matthew,
Yeh, well....
If I search the NM pdf file for 'lyrics spacing' I find p238 which is not overwhelmingly helpful, and finding the relevant bits as defined for the \paper entry required more lateral thinking than I was then capable of. :) Never mind, I've got it more or less in my head now, and the song sheet is sorted.
Regards
Bill