Adding line breaks within lyrics

From: Andrew C. Smith
Subject: Adding line breaks within lyrics
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:01:29 -0400

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a piece where the rhythms of the sung words are free, so a whole
phrase is attached to a single note. I'm putting my lyrics in " " for each
note, but they appear on one long line, when I actually want them wrapped to
the width of the bar. Is there a way to add a line break within the quoted
lyric, or to set the max width and tell lilypond to wrap the text?

\partI = \lyricmode {
\override LyricText #'font-shape = #'italic
\override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
"world's chaos when we seek it water's drifting as slowly out tides toward land
twice daily"

later on,

<<
\voice
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" { \partI }
\violin

Let me know if maybe there's a better way to do this. I'd like to keep it as
clean as possible, and also to be able to keep all my lyrics in one variable in
case I want to split up the file later. Thanks.

Andrew