Re: Music running off the page

From: Matthew Collett
Subject: Re: Music running off the page
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:22:52 +1200

On 20/06/2011, at 10:18 am, Michael Dykes wrote:

> I have an attached piece of music, and some of the measures are, for lack of
> a better term, running off the page. Any help will be appreciated.

You need to give it more opportunity to find breaks.  A quick fix, since you
are not actually using bars, would be to change your time from 5/4 to 1/4.
Alternatively, for more control, you could sprinkle '\bar""' at lots of
sensible break points (every _divisio_, for a start); to reduce the clutter,
you could do this by defining 'pipeSymbol = \bar""', and then inserting '|'.

(Personally, I would prefer Lilypond to treat _divisiones_ as barlines anyway.
From a performance point of view they may have a different meaning, but from a
music formatting point of view they are largely equivalent, including their
implications for such things as note spacing, the possibility or desirability
of line breaks and the termination of the effect of accidentals.)

Best wishes,
Matthew