Editors? Emacs bindings for Frescobaldi?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Editors? Emacs bindings for Frescobaldi?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:28:44 +0800

I'm in search of the "best of both worlds" ly editor.

I've gotten started with Frescobaldi. Autocompletion is invaluable, and the
integrated PDF view and help browser is a real lifesaver.

But, I use Emacs for just about everything else. So I had a look at LilyPond
mode.

+ Documentation is available by help - info. I could C-x 5 2 to have the help
window open alongside the editing window, close enough.

- The index frame from Frescobaldi's HTML view makes navigation a few million
times easier.

+ Emacs keybindings.

+/- Autocompletion is a bit less helpful without the kate-style pop-ups, but
still nice.

- PDF display is treated as a compilation process. To view a new rendering, I'm
forced to close the old viewer window first (!). (Also a bit of sloppiness in
the Emacs variable handling -- since I don't have xpdf on my system, I changed
the appropriate variable to "evince" but the change did not take effect until
after quitting and restarting Emacs.)

The PDF display thing is almost a dealbreaker. The integration is simply much
better in Frescobaldi.

Has anyone created Emacs keybindings for the Frescobaldi editor (or, 'kate' in
general)?

Thanks,
James

--