RE: Pitch-bent note's release-phase

From: Richard Sabey
Subject: RE: Pitch-bent note's release-phase
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:59:49 +0000

Hello, Graham, and thank you for responding.

Since sending my initial enquiry to this list I have indeed written an app which confirmed to me what you say.

Thanks also for that Python app. I plumped for your Python v.3.2 version and installed Python v.3.2 accordingly.

>There is a problem, in that if two notes are assigned to
the same MIDI key (even in different voices) they'll have
the same tuning.  That makes it possible for C and C# to
become confused.

That's a pity. I was hoping to use temperaments with many (31? 34? 41? 53?) pitches per octave, and create chords with pretty small intervals, perhaps smaller than a 12et semitone...

>It would make sense if
the pitch were rounded to the *nearest* equally tempered
value instead.

That'd only move this problem elsewhere.

>This highlights an interesting feature of Lilypond's pitch
bend support.  The pitch is always rounded *down* to the
next lowest equally tempered value, and then the pitch bend
applied *upwards*.

I've seen Lilypond apply downward pitch bend even if this means using a MIDI note whose name is different from the name in the .ly.

In the following example I find that Lilypond writes the g as g sharp bent down by .9399 of a semitone (the MIDI bend command, in hex, is e07621).

%%% begin lilypond example
\version "2.14.0"

% c major tuned to 34et
#(ly:set-default-scale (ly:make-scale #(0 18/17 36/17 42/17 60/17 78/17 96/17)))

xxxivPitchNames = #`(
    (g . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 4 0))
)
pitchnames = \xxxivPitchNames
#(ly:parser-set-note-names parser xxxivPitchNames)

\score
{
    \new Staff { g4 }
    \midi { }