Re: Polymetric music and page breaks

From: Andrea La Rose
Subject: Re: Polymetric music and page breaks
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:09:46 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Collective Wisdom,

I'm at it again and trying new things. It looks promising, but still not
working right.

I looked at this snippet again:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/snippets/rhythms#printing-music-with-different-time-signatures

And realized I missed this little tidbit:
global = { \time 3/4 { s2.*3 } \bar "" \break { s2.*3 } }

If I understand correctly, this is the "meta-voice" that Jan-Peter is
talking about; a command that tells the engraver to break lines every three
measures.

So I used the same sort of set-up for my piece, tweaking the numbers, of
course. It works on the first page very nicely:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31887010/Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-06-20%2Bat%2B5.33.10%2BPM.png

I thought, fantastic! No extensive calculations. No fancy logarithms (I know
that's basic math for most of you, but that's precisely when I checked out
of math classes. Oops.).

But it didn't work on the following page:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31887010/Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-06-20%2Bat%2B5.34.05%2BPM.png

I can't figure out why. Why would it work on one page and not the following?
Neither of them have convenient places to break.

I copied all of my changes to my short "test" version of the piece, and with
that, it breaks after the first two measures. Again, I'm not really able to
figure out why. Thoughts?

I've attached the test version and the pdf thereof. I have avoided attaching
the full version of the piece because of its size, but if anyone wants to
see it, just say the word...

Thanks for your help!

cheers,
Andrea