Re: Cued notes with partCombine

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Cued notes with partCombine
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:20:50 -0700

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:41:11 -0700, Garrett Fitzgerald <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 18:45, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
 << \clarinetOne // \clarinetTwo >>

Oops.  << \clarinetOne \\ \clarinetTwo >>

That syntax didn't work for me for some reason, but I'm pretty sure I do
want the partCombine effect here. It's a split first clarinet part, and
there's lots of a2 sections.

So, if I can only work with two voices, my best bet is probably to figure
out how to write shrunken notes into the \clarinetOne voice, huh?

If you do not intend to print clarinetOne and clarinetTwo separately, then it is simpler to
enter both parts in one variable, and split into two voices temporarily when needed.
\relative c'' { g a b c << g2 \\ d' >> }

See "Temporary polyphonic passages" under
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#single_002dstaff-polyphony

partcombine solves a problem (creating a combined staff out of two staves you
also need to use separately) that you might not have.  It is easer to create
the combined staff yourself to begin with.
--
Keith