Re: orchestra and individual parts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: orchestra and individual parts
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:01:51 -0400

Hi Marc,

> the problem with this approach is that one has to edit one file that contains
> all the music, (which can be long) then has to switch to another file that
> contains the score part for the part currently being edited. It seems a
> simple things but it makes a big difference when one has to do that over and
> over.

It all depends on how much flexibility you want in your output, I thinkā€¦

I almost *always* put the music variables (content) and score definition
(presentation) in different files. As one good example of how this helps me,
consider my chamber opera, "Drunken Moon". I have five different score files:
two for the full score (one in C, one transposed), one for the vocal score
(with piano reduction), one for the Tango [instrumental interlude] as a
separate salon piece for piano trio, and one for the Sarabande [interlude] as a
solo piano piece.

To try to manage all of this in a single Lilypond file would:
    1. be far too confusing (for me, anyway);
    2. limit (or maybe eliminate) the possibility of outputting a single one of
those 5 score options;
    3. restrict (or at least hamper) applying different stylesheets to each
score; and
    4. add far more complexity scrolling/jumping within the one file, than the
small difficulty added by the need to switch between content and presentation
files.

Of course, if you have a single simple output (e.g., you're always outputting
all bookparts, and they all use the same stylesheet), then a single Lilypond
file would likely be fine -- that's just not a situation I run into very often
in my Lilypond work.

But that's one of the great benefits of Lilypond: it is excellent at allowing
each user to work according to that user's requirements/habits/preferences.  =)

Hope this helps!
Kieren.