Re: Snippet: Tie does not appear

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Snippet: Tie does not appear
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:34:31 +0200

2011/6/21 James Harkins <address@hidden>:
> I'm working on a piece now for sheng, a Chinese instrument related to the
> free reed mouth organ /khaen/ common in Laos and Northeast Thailand. Like the
> guitar in the original example here, it's polyphonic (within fingering
> limitations) and most often notated on one staff. That means a lot of use of
> layers, and ties/slurs can get tricky. Since I'm just starting out with
> lilypond, I haven't developed that sixth sense to look at some complex
> notation and know immediately the best way to divide up the notes among
> layers. So I have to do a lot of moving notes between layers, preview, "no,
> that doesn't look right," etc.

I had this problem when i first got some piano music to typeset.
Amazingly, marking the paper score with crayons did the trick! I
usually begin with looking at slurs&ties (notes connected by them
should go to one voice if possible) and finding big uninterrupted
fragments that will be voiceOne and voiceTwo of each staff, separating
them and then "filling the gaps".

HTH,
Janek