Still puzzled by the format of so-called URLs in lilypond-user Digest

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Still puzzled by the format of so-called URLs in lilypond-user Digest
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:35:32 -0500

On 6/21/2011 8:44 AM, in lilypond-user Digest, Vol 103, Issue 73, address@hidden wrote:
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ChordSlur.pdf
Type: application/force-download
Size: 22869 bytes
Desc: not available
I am still extremely puzzled by the inclusion of information such as this in the lilypond-user Digest. Clearly, the so-called URL above is not at all a URL, although it might be the tail of some legitimate URL. If I click on the "URL", I get no joy.

In this case, I would really like to see the ChordSlur.pdf file so as to better understand the issues involved in the user report. How exactly would I go about this? Is there some fixed prefix I can prepend to the "URL" which will result in a valid URL?

Another problem with the above "URL" is the last segment, attachment-0001.bin. That's not a legitimate name for a pdf file. Even if the "URL" were legitimate, I'm pretty sure that my Firefox on Windows Vista and my Firefox on Mac OSX would not know what to do with the file. And I don't know either. Does the ".bin" extension indicate some sort of compression has been applied to the pdf? If so, what decompressor would I use under Vista or OSX to decompress attachment-0001.bin?

How do list members deal with these issues?