Re: Position of slur between two notes in different chords

From: Markus Pfaff
Subject: Re: Position of slur between two notes in different chords
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:55:06 +0200 (CEST)

Am 21.06.2011 16:16, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
> 2011/6/21 Markus Pfaff<address@hidden>:
>> A slur from one chord to another is positioned relative to the complete
>> chord.
>>
>> In my opinion this reduces readability of the score.
>> Shouldn't the slur go from the note inside of the chord
>> wich it actually starts on to the note which it actually ends on
>> (from a to bes in attached example for flamenco guitar)?
>
> I agree that it should do so in some cases, but i don't think it
> should do so in all cases.
> Generally when two chords are slurred, only one slur is used. The
> problem arises when a mix of slurs and ties appear. In your case it
> would be best to have the slur attached to the notes that change, but
> consider this example:
>
> \version "2.14.1"
> \relative c' { \key f \major
>    <c e g c f>  (<d f bes d f>  )
>    <c e g c f>  ( ~<d f bes d f>  )
> }
>
> Here only one note is tied and 4 notes are slurred. I'd say that there
> should be only one slur for the whole chord in this case.
I agree.

> I think the optimal solution here would be to extend slur syntax so
> that slurs could be defined inside chords (like ties):
> <c' ~ g' ( e''>  <c' a') d''>

This would be what I'd like to see.
Would your syntax express one slur (g' to a') or two slurs (g' to a' and e'' to
d'')?

What would happen in this case:
<c' ~ g' ( e''>  <c' a') e''>
Are e'' and e'' automatically tied or not?

The shorthand notation in which only the note slurred into is given instead of
the complete second chord should also work:
\version "2.14.1"
\relative c' { \key f \major
  <a e' a'( des'' e''>8 bes')
}
This should lead to a slur between a' and bes'.

Currently only
\version "2.14.1"
\relative c' { \key f \major
  <a e' a' des'' e''>8( bes')
}
is possible, but doesn't express musical intention.

Markus