Re: stem direction [Was: Snippet: Tie does not appear]

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: stem direction [Was: Snippet: Tie does not appear]
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:01:33 +0200

2011/6/22 James Harkins <address@hidden>

> At Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:26:06 +0200,
> Janek Warchoł wrote:
> >
> > > You probably want to learn to create and name voices with
> > > \new Voice = "second"  and \context Voice = "second" :
> > >
> > > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/explicitly-instantiating-
> > > voices
> >
> > Yes, i recommend that too. When you have explicit voices, you can set
> > their behaviour using \voiceOne, \voiceTwo etc.
>
> What is the purpose of naming the voices? If I do
>
> \new Voice { \voiceThree
>
> ... it's fairly obvious to the eye which voice it is, without the added
> typing of
>
> = "third"
>
> ... correct?

\voiceThree is about behaviour, it doesn't identify the voice (and you
need something to identify the voices for example to be able to tell
Lily "change notehead shapes to triangles in voice <blahblah>", and
for some advanced engraving).
Voices change their behaviour in special circumstances. Consider this example:

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice = "blaa" {
    \voiceOne
    c'' b' a' g' ~
    \voiceTwo
    g' e' f' c'
  }
  \new Voice = "chocapic" {
    \voiceTwo
    c' b e'2
    \voiceOne
    c''2 d''4 e''
  }

At the beginning voice "blaa" is the upper voice, but because of a tie
it becomes lower voice. "chocapic" also changes its behaviour.
(this example is a little contrived, but i think it illustrates the problem).

HTH,
Janek