Re: markup for partial measures

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: markup for partial measures
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:19:37 -0600

On 6/24/11 9:57 AM, "Henning Hraban Ramm" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Greetings again,
>
> since I mostly typeset folk songs, I need a lot of \partial measures
> (e.g. at the end or at repeats).

Mostly I don't think you need \partial measures.  You can just put a \bar
command in the middle of a measure to end a partial measure, with the next
partial measure starting right there.

{
  \partial 4
  c''4 |
  c''4 c'' c''
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c''4 |
    c''4 c'' c'' c'' |
    c''4 c'' c''
  }
  \alternative {
    {
      c''4 |
      c''4 c'' c''
      \bar "|"
    }
    {
      a'4 |
      a'4 a' a'
      \bar "|."

> I can't understand why LilyPond since 2.13.xx throws warnings that
> \partial is only allowed at the beginning of a score.
>
> The manual says, I should use a monster like "\set
> Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -4)" instead of a simple
> "\partial 4".
> It works anyway, I didn't experience cases where it didn't, but I¹d
> like to avoid those warnings.
>
> Can someone explain why this was changed? (And I really would like to
> continue using \partial or some other simple command!)

\partial has always been not recommended for use in the middle of the piece.
Warnings were added so that users would be aware of this recommendation.

> BTW: Some songbooks use partial measures at every start and end of a
> line, if the song starts with an upbeat. E.g. with a 1/4 upbeat in a
> 4/4 time, every line ends with a 3/4 partial and the next starts with
> a 1/4 partial.
> Some notation programs are able to do that automatically - IIRC I saw
> it with Capella.
> Is that possible with LilyPond without manually inserting \breaks and
> \partials?

Typically this happens only with songs where each lyric phrase begins on an
upbeat, in my experience.  In this case, you want to get one lyric phrase
per line, so you may want to make a voice with just spacer rests to
establish the layout.

I've attached a sample.

HTH,

Carl