Re: markup for partial measures

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: markup for partial measures
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:29:12 +0200

Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2011, 02:47:45 schrieben Sie:
> thanks for the information but i really prefer my workaround because the
> score in the example on the long-repeats is 1) incorrect as the code says
> repeat volta 4 and the score does not show that some measure need to be
> repeated 4 times and 2) the score looks rather bizarre with incomplete
> measure.
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/89/lily-c818abba.png
>
> I re-coded the example. In the end the music played will be the same but
> the scores look different.
> Do you really prefer score with incomplete measure?

No, but that's a matter of publishing style.

What I wanted to say is: Henning is a music publisher, and if his editor wants
a score to have partial repeats, then he as the publisher has to do it. My
point was that LilyPond supports these incomplete repeats, even though I would
never use them in the scores that I publish. However, Elain Gould's book
"Behind Bars" (pages 229ff) gives me the impression that repeats with
incomplete measures are accepted just as well with music publishers...

So, my whole point is: If you want to do it one way or the other, LilyPond is
flexible enough to cater for both.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886