Re: Problem with \set currentBarNumber

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Problem with \set currentBarNumber
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:27:47 +0100

On 26 June 2011 15:09, Nick Baskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Neil,
> When I try to move the Timing_translator by both adding it to the Staff
> context and removing it from the Score context, the file starts to compile,
> but then stops without doing anything after printing the following message:
> ERROR: In procedure number->string:
> ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1: ()
> There is no line number associated with the error, and LilyPondTool in JEdit
> isn't highlighting anything in red.

It's probably an error inside the Bar_number_engraver when it calls
scm_number_to_string () .  Since it's a Guile error, you don't get
line number info.

I couldn't really say what's wrong without seeing the full file, since
it works fine in minimal examples.

> When I don't remove the
> Timing_translator from the Score context, but only add it to the Staff
> context, I get scads of bar check failure warnings, and the resulting PDF
> has irregular and infrequent bar lines that do not line up with the meter
> until the first \bar "||", at which point each note is printed in a separate
> measure surrounded by a double bar.
> Am I missing something else? I tried moving the Default_bar_line_engraver,
> too, based on looking at the example in the Polymetric Notation section of
> the Notation Manual, but that did not solve the problem.

I wouldn't move the Timing_translator unless you really need to (i.e.,
for polymetric notation).  Why can't you set currentBarNumber at the
Score level while moving the Bar_number_engraver?

Cheers,
Neil