Re: Problem with \set currentBarNumber

From: Nick Baskin
Subject: Re: Problem with \set currentBarNumber
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:40:16 +0000

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:
On 26 June 2011 15:09, Nick Baskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Neil,
> When I try to move the Timing_translator by both adding it to the Staff
> context and removing it from the Score context, the file starts to compile,
> but then stops without doing anything after printing the following message:
> ERROR: In procedure number->string:
> ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1: ()
> There is no line number associated with the error, and LilyPondTool in JEdit
> isn't highlighting anything in red.

It's probably an error inside the Bar_number_engraver when it calls
scm_number_to_string () .  Since it's a Guile error, you don't get
line number info.

I couldn't really say what's wrong without seeing the full file, since
it works fine in minimal examples.

After commenting out various bits of the file, I have come to the conclusion that the error was generated by \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-barnumbers . Removing this line removed the error.

> When I don't remove the
> Timing_translator from the Score context, but only add it to the Staff
> context, I get scads of bar check failure warnings, and the resulting PDF
> has irregular and infrequent bar lines that do not line up with the meter
> until the first \bar "||", at which point each note is printed in a separate
> measure surrounded by a double bar.
> Am I missing something else? I tried moving the Default_bar_line_engraver,
> too, based on looking at the example in the Polymetric Notation section of
> the Notation Manual, but that did not solve the problem.

I wouldn't move the Timing_translator unless you really need to (i.e.,
for polymetric notation).  Why can't you set currentBarNumber at the
Score level while moving the Bar_number_engraver?

Cheers,
Neil

This relates to my earlier question about using repeats to make page turns possible. (I didn't realize the bar numbers weren't incrementing properly until doing a last check through the notation.) I have one set of bar numbers above the staff that refers to the first time through a repeat, and one set below the staff that refers to the second.

After moving the Bar_number_engraver, the Timing_translator, and the Default_bar_line_engraver to the Staff context, everything seems to be working correctly except for the repeat.  The bracket for the first alternate disappears after the final line break, and there is no repeat sign printed. (The attached example demonstrates the problem.) Moving the Volta_engraver has no effect on the output. Is there another repeat engraver that I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks for your help so far,
Nick

--
And she forgot the stars, the moon, and sun,
And she forgot the blue above the trees,