Re: chord names with lowered bass

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: chord names with lowered bass
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:11:37 -0500

On Jun 26, 2011, at 2:06 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-06-24 um 19:21 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>
>>> Perhaps I misunderstand the slash-notation (inversion): I use it to
>>> define the bass string to pick on the guitar.
>>
>> That's the way I use it as well.  But I'm totally familiar with this being
>> C/E.  That's the only layout I've ever seen for this kind of notation.
>
> I'm used to some German scouts notations, maybe they're rather uncommon ;-)

Presumably not uncommon among German scouts.  :-D

> I read C/E as "play either C or E at will".

Most musicians (in the US anyway, I can't speak for anywhere else) would read
C/E as a C triad over an E bass.  It's fairly standardized.  There is a
slightly different and not as well standardized way of writing stacked chords,
e.g. a C triad over an E triad which would be a C above an E with a short
horizontal line between them.  This chord would end up being C E G E G# B or
Cmaj7(b13).

> Ok, so my index notations seems impossible. A pity, but not dramatic.

Well, there may be a way to write the code to make it happen, but I have no
idea how.