[Best Practices] instrument changes

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: [Best Practices] instrument changes
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:15:11 -0400

Hello all,

I write a lot of music for "doublers", i.e., instrumentalists who play more
than one instrument. Often (e.g., clarinet), these instruments have different
transpositions. Furthermore, I usually need to print parts (in "performance
pitch") and scores (both "transposed" and "c" scores).

I would love to put together a "Best Practices" example/snippet/document, but I
want to make sure they *are* "best practices": a lot of what I do now would be
better described as "crisis-mode hacking", in order to get the score ready in
time for the performance.  :)

Has anyone else dealt with significant instrument changes (e.g., winds in an
opera), and would like to share your process?
Together, perhaps we can put together a truly useful Best Practices doc.

Thanks,
Kieren.