fret diagrams for scales and arpeggios - using finger numbers as interva

From: Jay Lee
Subject: fret diagrams for scales and arpeggios - using finger numbers as intervals
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:36:34 +0000 (UTC)

LilyPonders,

I think I'm trying to push LilyPond's fretboard diagrams beyond it's limit in
trying to use fretboards to display scale patterns and intervals rather than
chords and fingerings. So this post is either a request to be able to do
something LilyPond cannot do, or a request to add such functionality to future
versions of LilyPond.

What I want to do is to change the in-dot finger-code to reflect not fingerings,
but scale intervals in scale and arpeggio diagrams of the entire fretboard or
part of a fretboard.

The attached file uses the ukulele fretboard as an example of dominant seventh
arpeggios.

\addChordShape  #'DominantSeventh
                                #ukulele-tuning
                                #'(
                                (place-fret 4 1 5)
                                (place-fret 4 4 7)
                                (place-fret 4 6 1)
                                (place-fret 4 10 3)
                                (place-fret 4 13 5)
                                (place-fret 4 16 7)
                                (place-fret 3 1 1)
                                (place-fret 3 5 3)
                                (place-fret 3 8 5)
                                (place-fret 3 11 7)
                                (place-fret 3 13 1)
                                (place-fret 2 1 3)
                                (place-fret 2 4 5)
                                (place-fret 2 7 7)
                                (place-fret 2 9 1)
                                (place-fret 2 13 3)
                                (place-fret 2 16 5)
                                (place-fret 1 2 7)
                                (place-fret 1 4 1)
                                (place-fret 1 8 3)
                                (place-fret 1 11 5)
                                (place-fret 1 14 7)
                                (place-fret 1 16 1)
                                )

\storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table \chordmode { des'':7 }
                        #ukulele-tuning
                        #(chord-shape 'DominantSeventh ukulele-tuning)

I would like to be able to re-label the in-dot numbers to use 'b3' and 'b7'
instead of '3' and '7' for the flat-third and flat-seventh intervals
respectively, and to be able to use 'R' instead of '1' for the root.

I don't think it's possible but if so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance, Jay.