Fwd: hairpin problem?

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Fwd: hairpin problem?
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 23:20:08 +1200

Hi,
You wrote...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello-
I am forcing accidentals in a modal piece.  Time signature is 21/8 so
the measures are long.
I wanted to do a multi-measure hairpin (decrescendo) but the hairpin
stopped at the end of the first measure at the forced accidental (!).
1] is there a way around this?
2] is this a bug or really the way it's supposed to work or
3] is the reason it stopped there different from my assumption.
Thanks
Jay
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...from the NM p106
" A crescendo mark is started with \< and terminated with \!, an
absolute dynamic, or an additional crescendo or decrescendo mark. A
decrescendo mark is started with \> and is also terminated with \!, an
absolute dynamic, or another crescendo or decrescendo mark. \cr and
\decr may be used instead of \< and \>. Hairpins are engraved by default
using this notation.
c2\< c\!
d2\< d\f
e2\< e\>
f2\> f\!
e2\> e\mp
d2\> d\>
c1\!
"
I guess you might have to place the mp, pp, etc as markups - (but these
might not then be seen by midi...?) - if you want the hairpin to extend
across the complete snippet ... from \> to \!

Hope this helps
Regards
Bill