Regarding \break and multimeasure rests.

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Regarding \break and multimeasure rests.
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 05:13:57 -0400

Greetings All,
          I am currently working on a composition for piano, four hands, and
I have run into a bit of difficulty in terms of aligning Secondo and
Primo parts. At a certain point in the score, Lily simply refuses to
break at the command, even after instantiating `\\once \override
Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-permission = ##f' directly
within the music and after trying the more general direction in the
layout block as shown below and in the Notation Reference itself. When
compiling, I continually get the error, `warning: forced break was
overridden by some other event, should you be using bar checks?' I
should state that, earlier in the piece, there occur successful \break
commands during a passage of multimeasure rests in both hands; the
only difference there is that that passage takes place in the middle
of the page, not at the beginning. I give what I believe to be the
relevant code, the entire part being quite large; but I can supply the
entire code if requested. Many thanks for any guidance!
Hwaen Ch'uqi

P.S. To be extra clear, I am using version 2.14.1. After upgrading
with `convert-ly -e', the final version number given is 2.14.0.

\version "2.14.0"

#(define-markup-command (four-hand-page layout props offset) (number?)
 (let* (
   (two-hand (chain-assoc-get 'page:page-number-string props))
   (four-hand (number->string (+ offset (* 2 (string->number two-hand))))))
   (interpret-markup layout props four-hand)))

\paper{
  #(set-paper-size "letter")
  oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line {
    \four-hand-page #0
    ""
  }
  evenHeaderMarkup = ##f
  tagline = ##f
}

\header{
  instrument = "Secondo"
}

\score{
  \new PianoStaff<<
    \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
    \new Staff = up{
      \set Staff.extraNatural = ##f
      \key c \major \time 4/4 \clef bass \relative{
        R1*2
        \break
        R1*2
        \break
        R1*3
    \new Staff = down{
      \set Staff.extraNatural = ##f
      \key c \major \time 4/4 \clef bass \relative{
        R1
        <c g'> r r2 <ges ges'>8 r

  \layout{
    \context{
      \Score
      \override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-permission = ##f