Re: Best Practices for Multiple Part Scores

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Best Practices for Multiple Part Scores
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 16:55:59 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 15:25:43 schrieb address@hidden:
> I would like to set a large piece with multiple parts, with the option
> of producing single-part scores (e.g. an orchestral piece).  I have
> found that very quickly my source files get out of control.  What are
> the best practices I should be following to keep everything clean and
> D.R.Y.?

I would recommend my OrchestralLily package, which works great for this very
purpose (e.g. I'm using it to easily produce scores like
http://www.edition-
kainhofer.com/de/webshop.html?page=shop.product_details&product_id=161 )
but unfortunately, I haven't kept the documentation up to date. The thing
closest to a proper documentation is my paper:
http://kainhofer.com/Papers/Kainhofer_OrchestralLily_LAC2010.pdf

I always find it really amazing how few adjustments I actually have to make to
create good-looking scores (shifting a dynamic every now and then to the left
of a note, or overriding the part-combiner).

> - File structure: one per part (makes sense to me) or one for the
> score and parts pulled out with tags (suggested by the manual)?  Other
> options?  How should I pull this all together?

 I'm using one definitions file that contains the music definitions for all
instruments of the piece, several settings files, plus one file for each score
(i.e. each instrument, the full score, the choral and vocal scores). That
score file includes the definitions file and is typically very short.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886