Suggestions for a Contemporary Music Font

From: Bernardo Barros
Subject: Suggestions for a Contemporary Music Font
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:34:37 -0300

I'm thinking of creating a font for contemporary music with the most
commonly used symbols.
I miss a lot of specific symbols and I'm sure a lot of LilyPond users do too.

I know that there are some sources for this purpose, and find them very useful.
But most are bloated with not very useful symbols, while very common
things are missing.

I know of Controla, Sonora fonts, for instance
[http://www.music-notation.info/en/fonts/Controla.html]
Both with really useful symbols.

I'm a fan of the SVG backend, because it allows an absolute final
touch in the score,
and realized that PostScript can not be very compatible with svg.
So, also in this case, a Font is a better options then PostScript little hacks.

I would like to ask some initial guidelines for which tools to use on Linux.
I believe that FontForge would be the best option, but would like to
hear suggestions from other users of this list.

If anyone wants to contribute, it would be interesting to put this
source in some repository (github or similar),
so more users could all contribute, review, discuss and use the work.

best,
bernardo