Re: Suggestions for a Contemporary Music Font

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Suggestions for a Contemporary Music Font
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 23:14:11 +0200

2011/7/10 Bernardo Barros <address@hidden>:
> I'm thinking of creating a font for contemporary music with the most
> commonly used symbols.
> I miss a lot of specific symbols and I'm sure a lot of LilyPond users do too.
>
> I know that there are some sources for this purpose, and find them very
> useful.
> But most are bloated with not very useful symbols, while very common
> things are missing.
>
> I know of Controla, Sonora fonts, for instance
> [http://www.music-notation.info/en/fonts/Controla.html]
> Both with really useful symbols.
>
> I'm a fan of the SVG backend, because it allows an absolute final
> touch in the score,
> and realized that PostScript can not be very compatible with svg.
> So, also in this case, a Font is a better options then PostScript little
> hacks.
>
> I would like to ask some initial guidelines for which tools to use on Linux.
> I believe that FontForge would be the best option, but would like to
> hear suggestions from other users of this list.

As far as i know all our glyphs are written using Metafont (mainly
because of this
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/essay/engraving-details#optical-sizing).
 However. maybe development team will agree to include fonts not
written in Metafont.
As for the development environment itself, are you using Lilydev or
did you set up your own SDE?
If you have any problems with creating patches and handling git,
please let me know.

cheers,
Janek

PS i forward this mail to address@hidden, it's better suited