Ragged right for contents but not staff?

From: Matthew Collett
Subject: Ragged right for contents but not staff?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:06:03 +1200

With ragged-right (or ragged-last) turned on, music and the staff stop wherever
is natural.  With it off, both stretch to the end of the line.  Is there any
straightforward way to stop the music at its natural length, but have empty
staff lines stretch the full width?

Context:  I'm trying to format Gregorian chant in a style close to that of the
current Graduale Romanum or the older Liber Usualis.  Both of these behave in
the way described on the last line of a piece.

My hacked solution:  Turn ragged-right and ragged-last off, turn
\RemoveEmptyStaves on, and follow the real end of the piece with '\repeat
unfold 10 { s \bar"" }'.  This works (see attached example), but (a) the
optimal number of repeats depends on the linewidth and (b) Lilypond (2.14.1)
grumbles about 'programming error: system with empty extent'.  My instinctive
reaction to the complaint is "Well, yes.  I told you to remove empty staves,
and you have, so what's the problem?", but it would obviously be better to have
a clean compile.

Best wishes,
Matthew