Re: Ragged right for contents but not staff?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Ragged right for contents but not staff?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:34:40 -0500

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Matthew Collett <address@hidden> wrote:

Indeed it does, thank you.  And no, my Scheme would _not_ have been up to that.  I was still trying to figure out how to access the value of line-width, or indeed any of the \paper variables: the documentation is very clear on how to set them in the \paper block, but completely unforthcoming on how to get them from anywhere else.

I'm glad I could help!  The documentation does mention how to access these properties in a custom markup command
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/extending/new-markup-command-definition
but I wasn't sure how to pass layout info to it in other situations.  (I ended up doing a search for examples of ly:output-def-lookup in code.)

In fact, even given your solution I'm not convinced I understand how it works: as far as I can see you have defined an anonymous function, but not actually evaluated it ... (I've been coding on and off for 30 years in a succession of Basic, Fortran, C, Matlab, C++, Python and even the odd spot of assembler, but Scheme remains quite impenetrable to me).

I'm definitely not the one to give explanations!  I look at some examples of tail-recursion and wonder and wonder at how they get this result and not another, or do anything at all -- it's still all very opaque to me . . .  (But having a program like LilyPond make it so rewarding for me to pick up whatever I can.)

Best,
David